Delve into the multifaceted world of economic development with Dane Carlson as he engages in an enlightening conversation with Dr. Chad Miller, the Graduate Coordinator for the Economic Development Master's program at the University of Southern Mississippi. In this episode, Miller paints a vivid picture of the ever-evolving landscape of economic development, tracing its roots from basic infrastructural necessities in developing nations to the data-driven approaches prevalent in developed countries like the US, Canada, Europe, and Mexico. As they navigate the delicate interplay between the art and science of the profession, Miller underscores the significance of hands-on, technical skills that the program imbues its students with, preparing them for real-world challenges in the dynamic realm of economic development.
In an era where reshoring trends are gaining momentum and the focus is gradually shifting towards near-shoring to regions like Mexico and Central America, Miller provides a fresh perspective, highlighting the pressing need for diversity and the potential pivot from attracting big conglomerates to holistic community development. With an increasing emphasis on tech skills, building robust professional networks, and a rekindled focus on community development basics, the episode offers a deep dive into the challenges and opportunities facing the industry. Furthermore, Miller's emphasis on collaboration between universities and industry practitioners paints a promising picture for the future, bridging the gap between academic prowess and practical expertise. Whether you're a seasoned developer or just embarking on your journey in economic development, this episode promises a wealth of knowledge, insights, and actionable advice.
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps!
- Chad R. Miller | LinkedIn
- Chad R. Miller - Google Scholar
- Economic Development - Master's | Graduate Programs | The University of Southern Mississippi
- Southern Miss Economic Development | Groups | LinkedIn
- The Southern Miss Experience - YouTube
- Dr. Miller on We Are Jobs Podcast — Are you interested in a Master’s degree in economic development? Or, could you use university backed research to aid in your economic development efforts?
- The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century: Thomas L. Friedman: 9780374292881: Amazon.com: Books