In this riveting episode of the Econ Dev Show Podcast, host Dane Carlson chats with Courtney Zaugg, an industry expert in entrepreneurship and economic development. The two kick off their conversation with an exploration into the unique mindset of entrepreneurship, particularly the necessity of adaptability and the acceptance of failure. As they delve further, the discussion uncovers the limitations and inaccessibility of traditional venture capital for the majority of startups. Courtney offers insightful solutions, emphasizing the role of local banks and Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) in helping startups become bankable.
The conversation also takes a turn towards economic development, where Courtney expresses optimism about the industry's evolution and advocates for systemic change, particularly in distressed and rural communities. She further discusses potential partnerships between philanthropy, economic development, and entrepreneurship, introducing 'impact funds' as an innovative funding vehicle. Courtney insists on the importance of creating a well-structured entrepreneurial ecosystem and suggests practical steps communities can take to foster this development. The episode concludes with a discussion on the evolving landscape of higher education, and a reflection on Courtney's journey in pushing for systemic change.
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps!
- Courtney Zaugg, CEcD, EDP | LinkedIn
- Courtney Zaugg, Founder to Founder - YouTube
- Ambassador Profile: Courtney Zaugg - YouTube
- Designing Your Own Life with Courtney Zaugg - YouTube
- Breaking Down Barriers: Courtney Zaugg - Breaking Down Barriers
- The Pitchwerks Podcast: Pitchwerks #137 - Courtney Zaugg | Plaka
- NEXT Studios - We are accelerators of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Economic Development and Entrepreneurship | Plaka + Associates | United States